Cretan Recipes - Greek Tzatziki Sauce
A very appetizing, savory sauce that is almost always served with kebabs or souvlaki. It can also be served with baked potatoes, any meats and is surprisingly refreshing as a dip for vegetables!
- Peel the cucumber and grate with a cheese grater, using the large blades.
- Put in a bowl. Add a pinch of salt and 1 tablespoon of white wine vinegar. Toss and set aside to release its liquid.
- In the meantime, combine the yogurt, 1/3 of a garlic clove (minced), 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar and 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Mix until combined.
- Mix until it is combined and creamy.
- Squeeze the cucumber with your hands to release any remaining liquid. Discard the liquid and add the cucumber to the yogurt mixture.
- Stir into mixture. Add pepper and adjust salt according to taste.
- Add some finely chopped dill and your sauce is ready.
- Refrigerate until needed.
- Serve it with some carrots, peppers, cucumber and Greek pita bread!
- 300 g Greek yogurt (strained yogurt)
- 1 cucumber
- 1/3 of a garlic clove, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar for the cucumber
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- ¼ bunch dill, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 carrots chopped
- 2 peppers chopped
- 1 cucumber chopped
- Greek pita bread cut in 4 pieces
by Akis Petretzikis, great Greek chef